images edited by
The Civic Museum of Noto was born from the need to preserve and preserve an important collection of medieval and post-medieval artifacts, dating back to prior to the destructive earthquake of January 11 1693.
The first relics were found at the beginning of the twentieth century and constitute the initial nucleus of the museum, first exhibited at the Civic Library of Noto, later transferred to the former Monastery of Santa Chiara, which still houses the Civic Museum. The archaeological collection continued to expand despite the excavations on Ancient Noto suffered arrests during the century. Subsequently the excavations also interested the interior of the monastery and brought to light a necropolis of the Hellenistic age, which can be visited in the museum itself.
The Civic Museum of Noto participated in collaboration with private companies and some important Sicilian universities in the EFIAN (Experimental Fruition Ingenious Ancient Noto) project, with the aim of reconstructing, through the most advanced digital techniques, a visually enjoyable version of Noto Antica.